Thursday, May 3, 2012

Sheparding a Child's Heart



I am reading "Sheparding a Child's Heart" by Ted Tripp and gleaning so much from it already. Which is basically hilarious because the first time I read it I thought it was absolutely awful and was the worst parenting book I had ever read. But, I was in a very different place spiritually then. A place where I was reading a lot of worldly wisdom and desiring for my children to fit in well in the world. 


I have been thinking a lot about how busy we are already. Our 5 year old is playing soccer this Spring and our 3 year old is in ballet. Then add to that small group every week, other church commitments, getting together with family and friends, and you have a schedule that is pretty crazy. And my kids are still little!


This passage from the book totally knocked me over the head this week. Mr. Tripp is talking about the worldview that we give to our children based on the business of our/their lives:


"If your objectives are anything other than "Man's chief end is to glorify God and enjoy him forever," you teach your children to function in the culture on its terms. How do we do this? We pander to their desires and wishes.We teach them to find their soul's delight in going places and doing things. We attempt to satisfy our lust for excitement. We fill their young lives with distractions from God. We give them material things and take delight in possessions. Then we hope that somewhere down the line they will see that a life worth living is found only in knowing and serving God." 


I am linking up today at Raising Mighty Arrows!

4 comments:

  1. Hello....I am venturing over from Kelly's Korner blog.

    I wanted to quickly comment on your reading selection. After much prompting from my girlfriends.....I finally ordered that book, Shepherding a Child's Heart. They said it was wonderful. They also recommended Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches by Rachel Jankovic.

    I simply thought it was interesting that I just ordered (less than an hour ago) the Tedd Tripp book and I stumbled across your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Misty! I would love to hear your thoughts on the book after you read it. I have Loving the Little Years. I should get to reading that one too! I need all of the help I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny you posted this because I was just looking into getting this book. I'm glad you are liking it and it's totally prompted me to order it today! Thanks! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so great! I would love to know what you think of the book after you read it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete