Thursday, May 10, 2012

When children don't feel like a blessing...

*Update: This post has been edited thanks to this e-mail from my husband:
Hey Honey!

Love the new post on your blog.  Quick note, though, I think it is spelled ‘banshee’.

Love you!


Psalm 127:3-5 NIV 
Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate. 

We "know" that children are a blessing from God. But, the truth is, that the day in and day out of taking care of little people can get pretty heavy. Let's be honest, not many mamas can look at their 2 year old laying on the floor in the middle of Tar-jay screaming like a banshee because they can't get a piece of candy and say, "oh, what a blessing you are!" 

It is easy to get worn down and get in survival mode and not see our children as the blessings that they truly are. When I find myself getting into this mode I find it really helps to be intentional and change my mindset. Some ways I like to do that are:

- Do something that YOU enjoy with your kids. We often cater to their likes when we want to have fun with them, but you will feel more refreshed if you are doing something fun for you too. Yesterday, after a hard morning I took the kiddos to lunch and then to shop for Mother's Day gifts at Target. We chatted through lunch and they helped at Target. I felt like I was hanging out with friends. So good for a mama's soul.
- Write a list of your 5 favorite things about your kiddos. As moms we are quick to focus on what needs work in our children. But, think about things they are doing well or problems they have overcome. Even better, share your list with them. Our kiddos love our approval.
-Look at their baby pictures. Put yourself back into those moments when you were so full of love and joy you could burst. It will help you see your kiddos through fresh eyes.
- Pray daily for God to help you to see and love your children the way he does. 
- When all else fails... take the night off. Get away and get reinvigorated. We all need a break sometimes. Let go of the guilt and just enjoy a little peace...

Being a mom is hard work but it truly is a blessing. God would not lie to us. And He does not leave us to do this task alone.


3 comments:

  1. I'm nodding my head and sighing... I agree, I agree, I agree. This is how I feel, too. I love my children to the core of my soul and they exhaust me. I'm starting to realize I cannot separate those two things. Yet I choke back tears at the slightest thought of life without them.

    I was so close to taking my girls out for an impromptu pizza lunch after library story time today, but talked myself out of it. Reading your post makes me wish I'd done it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is awesome your husband reads your blog. Mine never does. He doesn't see a need, it kinda hurts.

    Sweet post too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! It definitely adds a layer of accountability to know the hubs is reading. But, I am very grateful.

      Delete