Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A clean house is a happy house...

So after years of searching I have finally found the secret to having a clean house all the time! Seriously! The secret to my success? Cleaning my house all the time! Okay, well not exactly! But, I do clean very frequently! But, because I quickly put things away as soon as I am done using them or whenever I see things out my house is pretty much always clean. This is a challenge when I have 2 little people who constantly work to sabotage my efforts by dumping every toy they find out onto the floor! But! I will prevail! Having my house clean is super important to me. Not because I care what other people think but because it makes me feel less stressed and happier! When I am playing with my kids and the house is clean I feel like I can be totally present with them and not going over the to-do list in the back of my mind.

I know this is probably not a great epiphany for most of you! Most of you probably keep your houses clean by nature! But, I used to be a slob! Totally a slob! Ask my college roomate! It was horrible! So, it is not in my nature to pick things up and keep a clean house.

I am just so excited to finally get this figured out. I think I was always looking for a "magic pill" when it came to cleaning. I was looking for the easy way! But, let's be honest... there is no easy way in life. You want a clean house? Clean your house! You want to loose weight? Eat less, exercise more! You want to do better in school? Study more! Working hard is just a part of life.. one that I am learning to accept 26 years in!

3 comments:

  1. having little people around makes cleaning so very frustrating, as you know. i'm constantly picking things up too but even then i feel like i'm fighting a losing battle! one thing that's helped me is to make a cleaning schedule: bathrooms get cleaned on monday, floors tues/thurs, etc. the kitchen gets cleaned everyday and the kids pick up their toys every afternoon before dan gets home. the house is never all spotless all at once (unless company is coming :) but at least parts of it are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can vouch for the college comment! Just kidding - we were allowed to be messy back then. I always feel so much better when my house is clean, but unfortunately, it's not as often as I'd like. And I don't even have kids to help make it messy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are right. Cleaning is a matter of just doing it. To paraphrase from Forest Gump, Clean is as clean does. It really is that simple. I have three kids, a dog, a hamster, two frogs and a fish. I am still learning to pick up after myself. How can I expect my kids to learn/see how it is done, if I haven't figured it out. That is my epiphany. Thanks for your blog message.

    ReplyDelete