Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Think about these things...

I would love to say this is my last post relating to Sonya Shafer at the homeschool expo but I don't want to start off my day lying to you all ;)

But, in her talk Laying Down the Rails, Mrs. Shafer emphasized the importance of building good habits in your children. She mentioned in the early years this often means simply, redirecting your child from doing something wrong so that at least they aren't forming a bad habit... even if they aren't forming a good one. Because, as we know, bad habits are hard to break.

I think this is great advice for dealing with young kiddos. But, I also realized it is something I have sort of been implementing in my own life.

I can't speak for the entire female population in general... but for me at least, I can very easily let my mind dwell on things that are upsetting or worrying me. If someone does something that hurts my feelings or frustrates me I can find myself just sitting and dwelling on it, replaying the situation again and again and again. I can keep myself so sad and upset just by letting myself continue to be sad or worried.

I read awhile back that if someone has hurt you the best thing to do whenever that person comes to mind is to pray for good in that person's life. That is wonderful advice and is the first thing I try to do. But, sometimes I am just not going to do that in the moment... so I would keep.on.dwelling. But, in the past few months, I have simply forced myself to think of something else. Anything else. When possible I try to meditate on a scripture passage. If I am really struggling with something I love to sit down and make a "what is true" list where I list everything that is good and true in my life right now (I have 4 beautiful children, my husband loves me and makes me laugh, a friend texted just to check in on me today, etc.), basically counting my blessings.

But, bare minimum, I don't let my mind dwell on being upset. So, sometimes that means I have to search Pinterest for a fun new recipe to make for dinner. Or I might text a funny quote from a tv show to a friend. Anything to not dwell and reinforce that habit.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." -Philipians 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment