Friday, July 13, 2012

What do we boast about?

 2 Corinthians 12:9 says, "But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. ” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me."


Do you boast about your weaknesses? I don't very often. I like to boast about my strengths! I like to share stories of when I did something very well and I like to share my victories. I do not like to share my weaknesses.


But, 2 Corinthians 12:9 says that Christ's power is MADE PERFECT in weakness. So, why am I so hesitant to share my weaknesses? I certainly want the power of Christ to be made known and I would love nothing more than for my life to be an obvious testimony of His power. But, still, I have a hard time. I think it is pride. I think I seek my own glory first. I think I want to measure up to others.


I think that we should be more honest about our weaknesses and struggles. I think we shouldn't shy away from sharing what Jesus saved us from. Because in doing this we are able to glorify God and help others. I know I have been encouraged and strengthened by hearing of God working in the life of someone else. I have never really been encouraged by someone who acts as if they are and always have been perfect. And yet, that is my own tendency.


So, I want to attempt to boast more gladly in my weaknesses and I want to encourage you to do the same... that the power of Christ may rest on us! I don't know about you, but that makes me excited!


I want to clarify what boasting about our weaknesses IS NOT....
It is not complaining about our circumstances.
It is not an excuse to not try to do better.
It is not an excuse to be lazy.
It is not an opportunity to be prideful (example...my weakness is that I am too nice...)


I could share a whole list of my weaknesses with you right now. But, I will just leave you with a few and I will praise God that He works through these weaknesses....




  • I am naturally pretty lazy. I have a hard time motivating myself, especially in the area of housework.
  • I can be overly critical of others.
  • Speaking kindly to others when I am frustrated is very difficult for me.
  • I am selfish and would often rather spend my time doing something relaxing (watching a TV show or checking Facebook) then doing things that need to be done.
And the list could go on and on... The point is not self condemnation. The point is to say, wow, look at what Christ is doing in my life through me despite the fact that I am a sinner with a heart bent towards doing the wrong thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment