Monday, April 23, 2012

Max's first soccer game and why I hope to always be a Stay at Home Mom

 Max, my 5 year old, had his first soccer game this weekend. The poor child was not passed down much athletic ability genetically through his father or myself. He hasn't really shown much interest in sports up until now so I wasn't really sure how he would do. But, honestly, he did great. He didn't kick the ball much but he stayed with the team and ran around and had a great attitude. For it being his first game with only one practice before I would have to say he did great!
 It also didn't hurt that he had quite the cheering section... Max's Grandma and Grandpa and his Aunt Emily and Uncle Simon were all there to cheer him on.
 I am so beyond thankful that my kids have such a wonderful family. I love that my parents and sister and her husband are always there for my kiddos. They come to games and dance recitals and are such a huge part of my kids lives. My kids love their grandparents (and frankly, prefer them to Nick and I). I am so thankful that we live so close. Although, I know that even if we didn't my parents would be incredibly involved and try to make it to as much as possible.
They are such an amazing example of grandparents that I hope to always be able to be a "stay at home mom" so that I can be those kind of grandparents for my grand kids as well. I hope to be able to be able to attend all of their activities and if they live farther away travel to visit them very frequently. I just see how special that bond is and I can't wait to keep it up!

I know a lot of grandmas have to work (actually my own mom works but thankfully she is a teacher so we get her all to ourselves in the summer) but I can see so much benefit to not working out of the home even when my children are grown. Aside from obviously being able to serve my husband and church wholeheartedly I love that I could also really serve my adult children by being available to help them. As a mom of young children I know what an amazing blessing it is to have help and I hope to be that for my children (and moms in my church as well).

Linking up at The Modest Mom, Raising Arrows, Growing Home and

5 comments:

  1. I like these thoughts. With my oldest heading into kindergarten this fall, redefining what it means to be a stay-at-home mom. Even when my kids are in school during the day, I still want homemaking to be my primary job, where I prepare a sanctuary for my family. I'm sure it's not quite that simple, nor will it be glamorous, but I believe it can be a purposeful role. Visiting today from The Better Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by Becky! I love your point of "redefining what it means to be a stay-at-home mom". I think it will be a lifelong journey that we will be on. What a blessing though!

      Delete
  2. I love this post... it is so real and honest! I hope I will always be in my home, caring to those who are inside, cheering them on and making their lives sweeter, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I love your vision for being in your home... encouraging your family! Thank you for the reminder!

      Delete
  3. My mama and I run a little playschool in our homes so that both she and I can be home with my children, as well as she can be avaiable for her other grandbabies! Wouldn't trade being home for the world!

    I followed you from the Teach Me Tuesday's linky party. Here is my post: http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-tuesday-raw-energy-balls.html

    ReplyDelete