Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

I really like making New Year's Resolutions. Even though I don't always stick to them it feels good to be intentional. Nick and I sat down together on New Years Eve and each shared 5 things we would like to do/accomplish in 2011. Some of those things include loosing weight (both of us), saving money, going on a family trip, and several others. It was neat to share so that we are both on the same page and can encourage each other. Plus it was neat that several resolutions on each of our lists were the same!

I have seen on some other blogs the idea of doing a theme word for the year. I have really been thinking and praying about what my theme word for the year should be. When looking at my resolutins the common thread seems to be "intentionality". I want to be more intentional about several areas of my life; my relationship with God, being a wife, being a mom, spending money (or NOT spending money!), etc.

As far as intentional mothering; I read a blog post somewhere (I can't remember where, so if you know leave me a comment and I will post a link) about being a "yes mom". The concept is that as Christian mommies we have to say "no" so much of the time. And especially as they get older we will have to say "no" to certain movies, activities, etc. But, we can choose to be "yes moms" whenever possible. As in, "Mommy, will you read me a book" -Yes, "Mommy will you play with me?" -Yes, "Mommy can I sit on your lap" -Yes. I admit, I am very often a "not right now mom". But, I don't want to be. I want to be a "yes mommy". Because I know the day will come and come too soon when they won't ask anymore!

This past year I spent a lot of time just making it. And I can't really be too hard on myself for it. Adjusting to life with three was certainly a challenge. And I know that this year will have it's own set of challenges. But, I believe that if I rely on God this can be a great year! So, here's to "intentionality"! Do you have a theme word for 2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment