Thursday, June 9, 2011

Nothing says summer like potato salad!

I LOVE potato salad. But, I had never made it until recently! Once I realized how easy it was to throw together I am hooked and I love playing around with it and making up different variations. I made this one for a friend that I was taking dinner to! I might have gotten a little excited with the mayo but I took this picture right after making it and after it chilled in the fridge for a few hours I think it seemed less mayo-ish! So... you decide!
 
Red Potato Salad
 
Ingredients:
1 pound of baby red potatos (quartered)
4 hard boiled eggs (peeled and chopped)
1/2 - 3/4 C. mayo (please do not use Miracle Whip or light mayo and if you do please promise to NEVER tell me about it!)
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 Tbs. dijon mustard
1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
1 1/2 Tbs. dried parsley
3 Tbs. dried chives
3 tsp. onion powder
salt and pepper to taste (my motto when it comes to s and p is go big or go home!)
 
Directions:
Boil quartered potatos until fork tender. Make hard boiled eggs, peel and chop.
Add potatos and eggs to a bowl and let cool (put in the fridge for a little while if you want!)
Mix all other ingredients except s and p.
Mix mayo mixture with potatos and eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste. Throw some extra dried chives or dried parsley to the top for color (or if you are more awesome than me use the fresh stuff).
Let chill in the fridge for a few hours.
 
*I would double this recipe if you are making it for a crowd :)

1 comment:

  1. Just made just about this same potato salad this week! America's Test Kitchen has you adding the red wine vinegar to the hot potatoes and then let it chill for 20 or so minutes before adding the mayo, etc. The potatoes soak up more of the tangy vinegar flavor when hot. I added minced/diced celery to mine. The recipe also calls for minced sweet pickle but I'm not so much a fan.

    ReplyDelete