Monday, February 20, 2012

My reading list lately

I have been a little reading machine lately. In the last week I have read two books and am now in the middle of one. It all started when a few Bible verses, all with similar themes started coming up in my quiet times and in other ways. Verses like Matthew 34-46, and Ephesians 2:10, and James 2:14-26. These verses and ones like them just kept coming up and I felt God really speaking to me about my faith. 
A few books had been recommeded to me and they all seemed to be close to the issues God was working on in my heart so I started reading, hungry to hear about how other people were living out their faith in Jesus. All while knowing verses like Romans 11:6 are true, "But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace."
I read
Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption
this book and
Not a Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus
and this one. And I am currently in the middle of
Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream
this one.
It has been awesome. I have been so challenged in my faith and have had to really take a hard look at why I believe what I believe. There were several times (in each book) where I have found myself disagreeing with a point and what comes to mind is something a pastor or religious leader has said and then actually going to the Bible to see what is says about the issue and finding that I have been believing some things that just aren't Biblical. It has been eye opening and overwhelming all at the same time.
Have you guys read any of these books? What did you think? I think I have a lot more thinking to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment