Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Parenting 101... starting over!

Being a mom is by far the hardest thing I have ever done! I have ALWAYS wanted to be a mom. It was pretty much my only career goal! And I have worked as a babysitter and nanny since I was 12 years old. I have always loved little kids. But, I was suprised to learn that being a great babysitter doesn't translate into being a great parent. While I could easily handle discipline as a nanny, with my own kids I feel like we are the "before" video segment on Super Nanny some days.

My first born seems to be my biggest challenge. He is adorable and can be the sweetest boy in the world. But, he also has a strong will and can be more challenging than I ever thought one little boy could be! The tantrums, the screaming, the disrespectfulness... it is all so overwhelming!

Lately I just feel like I am at the end of my rope. I am becoming a very grouchy mom because I just don't know what to do anymore! I am tired and I feel like I am just not making progress.

So, last night I decided to just push the "reset button". I found this book

(image from amazon.com)
and I started reading it last night. I have decided that today is a new day and I am going to start again. Even if I haven't been the best mom the past several weeks/months/years, I have today to start again.

I love my kids so much and I want to be the best mom I can. I want to raise them to be nice people that other people actually want to be around! So, pray for me as I "start over"!

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry; all good moms "start over" about a dozen times--with each child! For people like you and I who like to do things "THE RIGHT WAY", this is a very challenging process, but with God helping I know you can do it (and I know He will help you!). Praying for you today!
    --Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. You GO girl! :) You are a great mom!! :) I am praying too!! :):) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i could have written this post myself (except chloe is the one giving me the most problems right now). *sigh* i would be a perfect mother if it wasn't for my kids. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there girl. Kadyn was super hard for me at age three. I thought I was going to loose it a couple of times. Then she popped out of it while I also worked on myself as a parent relying heavily on God's grace and guidance to get me through which also helped the situation. But little did I know her little fits would pale in comparison to what I experienced when I babysat two rowdy little boys for almost two months. It made me realize how amazing my girls are and how blessed I really am to be given the kids I have been given. Hang in there. Your doing exactly as you should do, admitting your weaknesses and committing yourself to working on it. I have no doubt that you'll come out on the other side a stronger and wiser mother.

    ReplyDelete